In 1916, it was suggested that Piankeshaw Chapter buy the Scribner home from Miss Hattie Scribner to use as a chapter house. Joel Scribner, one of the three brothers who founded the city, built this property, the first frame house in New Albany. The chapter purchased the property in 1917 at a price of $1,500. On Flag Day 1928, the mortgage was burned. The Piankeshaw Chapter is devoted to the preservation of this important part of our local history. This is accomplished with members' dedication, a memorial endowment fund established in 1974, and an annual fund drive with contributions from local supporters who are interested in the maintenance and safe keeping of this historic property.